Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TASTY TUESDAY

Anyone that knows me well knows that I LOVE to cook...therefore I am anti most anything that comes prepackaged. There are exceptions, however! ZATARAINS! I love it! My faves are currently their black beans and rice (serve with a side of sour cream with a healthy dash of chopped cilantro mixed into the s. cream...very yummy!) And now, the Jambalaya mix! Of course, I did doctor it up a bit......Here's my take on it:

Make the jambalaya mix as directed; when it tells you to add the meat, I used turkey smoked sausage. This comes in your deli meat section of the grocery store and is pre-cooked. I used half of the package and just sliced it and then cut the slices in halves. When I added the meat, I also added a small can of whole kernel corn, and a small can of diced petite tomatoes. (drain the tomatoes a bit, but not all) While that is simmering, slice up a small green bell pepper (or just half of one) and about a 1/4 of a small vidalia onion. More or less to your taste. Saute the bell pepper & onion together in a skillet with about 2 tablespoons of butter. When this browns a little, add it to the zatarain's already in progress and throw in a handful of chopped cilantro. Yummy to your tummy! Serve with crusty french bread and hot sauce:)


**Some of you may know that Houston (our lovable, but high-energy weimeraner) was struck by a hit-and-run driver in a truck, pulling a trailer, no less. This was about a week and a half ago. Stewart had gone out in the front yard about 10:00 in the evening when we realized that Houston has gotten out. Stewart called him and he heard the truck hit him and Houston yelping. The truck drove right past Stewart and he ran up the street to find Houston lying on the sidewalk. He was still alive, and Stewart got him home. I came out and saw him lying on the garage floor with multiple wounds on his head and back leg and we both thought he probably wouldn't make it. The next morning, Houston was able to raise his head, but that was about it. Now, a week and a half later, he is back to his old self! You would never know he had yet another brush with death! That dog has 9 lives! On a lighter note, the same day that Houston was struck by the truck, our hamster Jack-Jack had gotten out of his cage. When Houston was trying to stand after his accident, he threw up, and in the mix was a blob that looked mysteriously like a furry little Jack-colored rodent! What are the odds? Stewart & I didn't get close enough to inspect it and verify...one can only speculate. Hmmmm....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! Well, I love the recipes....we cook a lot alike. Poor Houston sounds just like Duke, my crazy Weim.
Hope all is well in the Fox household! Miss seeing you guys!
-courtnay